Friday, June 3, 2011

Full Bloom

My love of flowers comes directly from my Grandmother Dukes.  She taught me everything I know about flowers and how to care for them. I can remember as a child looking though all her flower magazines and helping her choose what to get. I still do this today every summer and winter when I plan what I will plant for the coming planting season.  

My personal favorite flower is the poppy, but they don't grow well in the Texas heat and nor do they make good cut flowers for bouquets. Some of my other favorites are lilies of all types and wild flowers.  

The tulips I planted this year reminded me of my very first flower bed that my dad made for me when I was in the 8th grade. It was full of tulips. The iris remind me of my childhood home. We had tons of wild iris growing all over our acreage.  Every spring the  land would be covered with iris blooms of all colors, but mainly the purple ones. This is why I have a majority of purple iris.

Flowers always put a smile on my face, especially when I get to pick a bunch for a gorgeous bouquet. Hope they give you a little cheer too!






























No comments:

Post a Comment