- 2 cup(s) low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 small (4- to 6- ounce) onion, finely chopped
- 1 large (8- to 10-ounce) red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large (4- to 6-ounce) poblano chile, seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can(s) (14.5-ounce) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 1/2 ounce(s) baked tortilla chips, crushed (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cup(s) cooked shredded chicken breast meat
- 4 ounce(s) pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish
|Remove seeds if you like a milder taste.|
|I didn't have a red pepper so I subbed for a orange one|
|Love my Pampered Chef chopper.|
|and my Pampered Chef garlic press|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease shallow 3-quart baking dish. Microwave milk on High 2 minutes or until warm.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion, red pepper, and poblano and jalapeño chiles. Cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring. Continue stirring and add broth, then milk, in steady stream. Heat to boiling while stirring, then cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
4. Spread thin, even layer of sauce on bottom of prepared dish. Top with half of chips, sauce,
chicken, and cheese. Repeat layering once.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbling. Garnish with green onions.
|goes great with a Malbec|
|I like mine a little hotter than the hubs, so I sprinkle these on for a little added kick. Delish!|
This turned out pretty good and will be finding a permanent home in my recipe book (more on the gem in a future post). I made some notes that next time I may sub the diced tomatoes for a can of rotel. I also think you could easily add 1 cup of frozen corn and/ or black beans if you so desired.
Nutritional info: 10 weight watcher points+
1 serving is 1/6th of dish
Recipe from Good Housekeeping January 2011 issue