This cake was perfect for the Valentines Day dinner party. The cake frosts itself while baking in the oven, making for quick presentation prep during the dinner party. I doubled this recipe and it easily fed 10. Enjoy!
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 boiling water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all- purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the chocolate, 1/2 cup jam and the heavy cream in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until smooth. Pour into a buttered 9 inch cake pan.
- Combine the baking cocoa and the water in a bowl and mix well. Add the milk, vanilla, and 1/3 cup raspberry jam and mix well.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine four, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Add to the cream mixture alternately with the jam mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour evenly over the chocolate mixture in the cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10- 20 minutes.
- Run knife around edge and invert onto serving platter.
- Garnish with fresh Raspberries.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe from Savor the Seasons 2007