Penzeys is an Internet based spice catalog that has a few retail stores. I was elated to find out they have one in Dallas. Penzeys has all the basics for cooking and baking, but they also have wonderful blends that you can't find anywhere else. Their prices are comparable to what you find in the grocery store,but the quality is so much better. They also offer a lot of salt free blends that are good for people who are watching their sodium intake but still want flavor.
Some of my favorites:
- Garlic a staple of Italian cooking as well as Chinese, French and American cuisine
- Single Strength Vanilla 35% alcohol-stronger and more flavorful than any store-bought vanilla extract
- Aleppo Pepper - Turkish crushed chili
- Chili 9000 - Makes great Chili
- Crushed Red Peppers - great for pizza, tacos, spaghetti, omelets and beans
- Jalapeño Peppers - I put this on everything since I enjoy spicy food!
- Penzeys Cinnamon - a perfect blend of cinnamon
- Cumin- The freshest and most flavorful I have ever found
- Mural Of Flavor -a blend of over a dozen spices and herbs
- Northwoods Fire Seasoning -great on grilled chicken
- Ground Black Pepper -comes in a wide variety of grind sizes to fit every use and is so fresh!
- Southwest Seasoning -spicy, smoky chipotle pepper blend great for Mexican dirty rice and grilled chicken
Money Saving Tips:If you order the free catalog they tend to send coupons for $5 off a $10 purchase or sometimes they have feature spices that they give you a full size sample of for free. Penzeys also has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So if you buy something and just don't fall in love with it they happily return your money. Can't get any better than that!